Saturday, September 11, 2021

New High Resolution Scans of the Link to the Past Enix 4-Koma (Manga) Vol. 2

Edit: I now have the 600dpi scans posted on archive.org

I've started scanning the 26ish volumes of Legend of Zelda 4-Koma and I'm actually going to post large versions of it, which I usually don't do, but it's only because I think the chances of it having a market to be republished are pretty slim. I'm trying to make sure I support publishers but, also, it's a shame something disappears because it's been unavailable for decades so I'm trying to figure out the balance there.
 
This volume is "The Legend of Zelda 4 Koma Gekijou # 2." It's an anthology that was published on February 28, 1993 by Enix.  ISBN4-87025-707-6 (Japan) and it's solely for A Link to the Past.




Any translations will be posted to this Flickr album for now. 

I am super sad these never got popular. They're so awesome! I've had small scans of most of the pages on historyofhyrule.com since 2002-2004 and I haven't even seen so much as a meme from them. And they are so meme worthy! Only 1 out of roughly 26 Zelda 4komas have been translated. If you would like to translate this, even just sections of it, please go ahead and let me know! 


If you use these pages please always link back to the main website though, so people can find more information and rare materials, or even help me find more!


Here are examples and info on the other 4koma, they're for the games LttP, LA, OoT, MM, WW, OoA, and OoS. I will be scanning all of these the coming weeks.


What is 4-koma?

From Wikipedia's Yokoma Entry:


Yonkoma manga (4コマ漫画 "four cell manga", or 4-koma for short,) a comic-strip format, generally consists of gag comic strips within four panels of equal size ordered from top to bottom. Though the word yonkoma comes from the Japanese, the style also exists outside of Japan in other Asian countries as well as in the English-speaking market.


Structure:

Traditionally, Yonkoma follow a structure known as Kishōtenketsu. This word is a compound formed from the following Japanese Kanji characters:

Ki: The first panel forms the basis of the story; it sets the scene.

Shō: The second panel develops upon the foundation of the story laid down in the first panel.

Ten: The third panel is the climax, in which an unforeseen development occurs.

Ketsu: The fourth panel is the conclusion, in which the effects of the third panel are seen

0 comments:

Post a Comment