Monday, May 2, 2022

2400dpi Archival Scans: I just discovered a lost Hyrule Fantasy poster from 1986 with original art by Ran Maru

I was not expecting to find something like this. Go here for the 2400dpi scans of this bonus poster: both cleaned and edited and raws! This art has never been online before, even as a photo, and it's nearly 35 years old! I've never even found references to it on the Japanese sites I know of that keep track of Zelda publications and merch. I really think it was just completely lost to memory.

This is a promotional poster for The Hyrule Fantasy: The Legend of Zelda found in the December 1986 issue of Wanpakku Comics | わんぱっくコミック 1986年12月号. The art is by Ran Maru | 乱丸 

The zip on archive.org contains 2400dpi scans; both slightly edited and color corrected as well as the RAWS. The pdf for the page reader is just 600dpi jpgs so that it would work better with the archive.org viewer. I spent the morning patching it up and removing the creases, and I also uploaded an image without the logo and and text at the top only because it's a little distracting. The text below the logo says "Illustration ♡ Ran Maru" by the way. 

This manga has a full English translation thanks to Kaialone, which can be found here: historyofhyrule.blogspot.com/2021/09/after-35-years-its-finally-fully.html
There are 4 volumes by Ran Maru: 1 for Hyrule Fantasy and then 3 volumes for Adventure of Link. They top the list for my favorite Zelda manga. Seriously, give them a shot. They get better and better as they go and have so many firsts for the series.



I actually only bought this issue because I saw a mention to one page of Zelda content in the table of contents and I've been telling myself to buy random things just in case. Normally 1 to 2 pages means means a dud, like an advertisement; a poster with just screenshots and official art that we already have. But I'm so excited I chanced it because it reminds me of this other classic poster from Ocarina of Time with all of Ganon's minions on the cliffs surrounding Link. Just replace Watt with Navi (no, really, please.)


The only thing I'm a little disappointed about is, usually, Ranmaru does such a wonderful job with Princess Zelda and, to be honest, she does not look her best here. But traditional illustration is hard and I totally get that it happens.

I do love that Link has blue eyes, and that Zelda has green eyes, like in Breath of the Wild, and that Link is wearing his upgraded blue tunic.

The crystal around his neck connects him telepathically with Zelda, which is also something we see in later games.

The Triforce of Wisdom's color was also red when we first encounter references to the goddesses being defined by colors, in A Link to the Past, before it was changed to blue in Ocarina of time. So it's cool to me that the crystal is red in this and so is the gem in her crown (as well as the implied color of her dress.)

I also love that Link gets a shield upgrade and the cross gets replaced with the Triforce. I believe this poster comes between Hyrule Fantasy (Zelda 1) and Zelda II: The Adventure of Link manga so it makes sense that he has this shield now. Head-canon-wise: I kind of like the idea of a introduced religion being replaced with the people's original, indigenous, religion the further a quest goes on. 

I also like that the sword Link uses here looks at least a little bit more like the Master Sword than most sword art at the time! It's kind of a nice merging of the sword designs, actually.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this long-lost find too!

Oh, and in a scanning first- I stabbed myself through the finger with a 3 cm, 35 year old, rusty staple when I was pulling it out with pliers. These comic magazines are THICC and have giant staples that go all the way through the volume. Normally stapled material is my favorite to break down but, on these big comic issues, they can be really tough to remove!


But I figured I shouldn't miss this opportunity, right?  So "I offer this blood sacrifice to the Gods of Hyrule! Bring me more lost Zelda publications!"  Mwahahaha


We were joking around about it my friend, Max, made this which is now my favorite thing ever:



A pretty memorable day over here in scanner land!

Other Keywords: The Legend of Zelda, Manga, Hyrule Fantasy, Zelda 1, ゼルダの伝説, Art, Zelda, LoZ, tLoZ, RAW, RAWS, scan, scans, ppi, high res, high rez, high resolution, Link, Princess Zelda, Watt, Wattu, Parrot, Triforce, Hyrule, Nintendo, NES, Famicom, Family Computer, videogame, magazine, kids, child, poster ゲームブック, コミック雑誌

0 comments:

Post a Comment